Mr Brereton has served the Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association as a director since 2012, among other roles, including deputy director and vice-president. He will replace outgoing president Scott Atkins, a partner at Norton Rose Fulbright.
Mr Brereton is currently director of restructuring and insolvency at mid-tier accounting firm William Buck, which he joined in 2018, after leaving advisory and investment firm KordaMentha, where he served as executive director for nine years.
Speaking on Mr Brereton’s appointment, William Buck director of restructuring and insolvency Sean Wengel said his solution-oriented approach to his work coupled with his advocacy for industry improvement will see both the ARITA board, and its members, benefit greatly.
“Michael has a strong belief in teamwork and a meticulous approach to decision-making and problem solving which are apt and welcome skills to any governing board,” Mr Wengel said.
“I speak for the entire William Buck team when I say we are proud of Michael’s achievement and delighted that we have someone from William Buck assuming the most senior leadership position at Australia’s peak restructuring and insolvency industry body.”
Mr Brereton’s appointment was one of nine appointments announced by the association following an annual board meeting held in May. Mr Brereton will be deputised by Rachel Burdett, a partner at Cor Cordis, who was elevated to deputy president.
Kelly Trenfield, senior managing director at FTI Consulting, and Jason Porter, executive director at SV Partners, were both appointed vice-presidents.
Meanwhile, the association welcomes five new directors. Michael Brennan, principal at Offermans, has been elevated after spending four years on the association’s Queensland state committee. He will be joined by Leanne Chesser, partner at KordaMentha, and Danielle Funston, partner at Maddocks.
Mathew Gollant, principal at CJG Advisory, has also been appointed director alongside Kathy Sozou, partner at McGrathNicol.
The majority of ARITA’s board now comprises accountants at 83 per cent, with lawyers accounting for the remaining 17 per cent.
Are you thinking of expanding your offering into SMSFs to grow your client base? Become a pro at SMSF fundamentals and make your clients bulletproof with the SMSF Foundations course. Learn directly from Aaron Dunn from Smarter SMSF as he deep-dives into the fundamentals you need to know to successfully undertake your work as an SMSF practitioner. Earn up to 21 CPD hours! Learn more
John Buckley is a journalist at Accountants Daily.
Before joining the team in 2021, John worked at The Sydney Morning Herald. His reporting has featured in a range of outlets including The Washington Post, The Age, and The Saturday Paper.